Christmas time is almost here! Help your teddy get into the Christmas spirit and sew him or her up a Santa suit.
- Red Velvet 0.5m
- Supersoft fur in beige o.2m
- Co-ordinating thread
- Sewing Machine
Build-a-bear sized teddy: Download pattern.
Smaller or bigger teddy: Referring to Re-purposing old clothes – Teddy Bear clothes, draft up your own pattern.
Cut out your patterns
All our seams are sewn using an overlocker, with a 6mm seam allowance. Hems were sewn with a Ballpoint needle. Alternatively, you can use a straight stitch and zigzag stitch on your sewing machine to substitute the overlocker.
- Overlock all edges of fur. This will prevent fur from going everywhere.
- Pin base of leg and fur together. Overlock together.
- Repeat for both pant legs.
- Pin front and back seams of pants together Overlock. Ensure that you do not overlock the inner pant seam.
- Fold up fur 1cm, pin. Using your sewing machine, perform a straight stitch.
- Place inner crotch seams together, Pin and overlock.
- Overlock waist seam. Fold down 2cm and pin. NOTE: on the back, ensure that you leave a 3-4cm gap to thread the elastic through.
- Sew using a 12mm seam allowance.
- Measure your elastic around the teddys waist until it fits comfortable, take off 1-2cm and cut.
- Using a safety pin, thread elastic through pants.
- Zig zag stitch both ends of elastic together.
- Using your sewing machine, straight stitch remaining gap on waistband.
- With right sides together, pin one front and back shoulder seam together. Overlock together.
- Overlock neckline.
- Fold the neckline hem under 6mm, using your machine straight stitch the neckline.
- Overlock remaining shoulder seams together.
- Overlock sleeve hem. Repeat for both sleeves.
- Fold the sleeve hem under 6mm. Using a sewing machine, stitch hem, making sure you have the right side up.
- Pin sleeves into place, overlock.
- Match side seam, pin and overlock side seam.
- Repeat for other sleeve. Overlock hem
- Fold hem up 1.5cm, pin. Using your sewing machine, straight stitch around the hem.