Making your own Christmas gift bags is a great way to use up some scraps, whilst adding your own personal flair to gift wrapping. You can even adjust the size of your fabric and ribbon to suit any sized gift! They also can be passed from recipient to recipient for many years to come.
- 1 x fabric rectangle cut to 16 x 51cm
- Ribbon cut to 51cm
- Co-ordinating thread
- Tailors chalk or disappearing fabric marker
- Bodkin or safety pin
- Optional: Overlocker
Seam allowance is 1/4” unless otherwise stated.
- Fold your fabric in half widthwise and align the short ends. Pin. Measure 10cm from the unfolded short edge down one of your long sides and mark with your chalk or fabric marker.
- Begin stitching from the mark made in step 1 down to the folded edge. Stitch the full length of the opposite long side.
- Finish edges with an overlocker or a zig-zag stitch.
- Make a small snip just above the ¼” mark just above the point where your short line of stitching ends.
- Fold down fabric above the snip by ¼” and press.
- Fold top edge of bag down by ¼”and press. Fold down toward the inside of the bag lining up with the snip with made in step 4. Pin.
- Stitch about 3mm from the lower folded edge to secure.
- Using your chalk or Fabric marker mark 2cm from the line of stitching you just made.
- Stitch along the line drawn. This will form the channel for the ribbon drawstring. Turn bag right way out.
- Feed ribbon through with a bodkin or safety pin.